Monday 3 October 2011

Interview with Kabira Alieva

 Narsharab Soul 152x122cm
Mixed media on canvas by Kabira Alieva

Name:
Kabira Alieva
Artistic discipline:
drawing, painting, and a few experiments with sculpture and photography
Weapon of choice:
a nib (I think that’s the right word in English?) or stylus, and a very wide brush
Website:
www.kabira-alieva.com



Hello Sweetheart, looking gorgeous! D’you mind if I ask a few questions?

Fire away!

First of all, where's home?

Tough one… As our family moved around a bit, I went through a mini identity crisis some years ago and wasn’t sure where home was… for most part I guess it felt to be Baku, my birth city, the capital of Azerbaijan… but these days Baku is changing so fast that the strong connections or associations that I have with ‘home’ are mostly left in my memory – and I believe they still live through my work. Perhaps my art is where my home is…although London is a big part of it too.

What was your first art piece creation and who owns it?
I was three years old when I drew a big circle, two dots inside, circles around them… a receiver resting on top of the big circle, and a long curly cable nearby – the heart of the drawing was a massive moustache – and I proudly called this masterpiece ‘Dad The Telephone’ – even though my dad doesn’t wear and never had a moustache. Not sure where this drawing is now but I do remember it made quite a few people smile, which is good!

What art piece or art work do you look at think “I wish I had created that”?

There is so much fascinating art out there but I would probably have to say impressive, big-scale outdoor installations like one of Anish Kapoor’s works. Ah… one day. On the other hand, I create what I am meant to create for a reason, and if I can do that well, then my mission is being fulfilled step by step so there is not much point in looking at someone else’s work and thinking ‘I wish I created that’ – it’s just better to enjoy it and respond to it if it speaks to me.

What's the best advice anyone ever gave you?
There are so many! ‘Always believe in yourself’ comes to mind right now…

How do you fill your days?
Hmm… besides art – family, friends, books, science, yoga, a walk in the park, discovering London… travelling whenever I can… or just sleeping.

What is the worst job you've ever done?

A newspaper round in our neighbourhood… I was a student then. Had to wake up at 4 am sharp every morning, no matter what the weather, and carry this big heavy, bigger-than-me trolley with newspapers and magazines around the block… I lasted about a month. But it is a good character-building experience, especially for a young person.

If you were written about in the newspaper, on the front page, what would the headline say?

“Her work changed [something] for the better”

If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?

Well, I love magic, so whatever a good magician can do, I’d like to do that too. Having a healing power would be really cool!

What will you be doing after this?

Brainstorming.

Can I take you out for a drink Darling, I know this great place!
Do you even need to ask?! I have so much more to tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment